- Are Connally ISD Police Officers actual certified police officers?
Yes, the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure Article 2.12 identifies peace officers including, officers commissioned under Chapter 37 Section 37.081 of the Texas Education Code (ISD Police). All Connally ISD Police Officers are certified peace officers licensed by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) and fully commissioned by Connally ISD. Connally ISD officers have all powers, responsibilities, and immunities as do all other Texas Peace Officers.
- What authorizes the Connally ISD Board of Trustees to employ police officers?
The Texas Education Code, Chapter 37 Section 37.081 authorizes the CISD Board of Trustees to employ security personnel and/or police officers. It is the school boards responsibility to determine the jurisdiction of police officers employed and commissioned by Connally ISD. Connally ISD police officers have jurisdiction in all of Connally ISD's territorial school boundaries.
- Can Connally ISD police officers make arrests off campus?
Yes, Connally ISD police officers can arrest offenders of the law both on and off campus.
- Can Connally ISD police officers issue traffic citations?
Yes, Connally ISD police officers are authorized to issue traffic citations. Connally ISD police vehicles are equipped with radar units that monitor speed in school zones and other areas both on and off school property.
- What court do I go to if I am issued a traffic citation from a Connally ISD police officer?
If you receive a traffic citation from a Connally ISD police officer, you will be required to contact and/or appear in the appropriate municipal or Justice of the Peace court indicated on the citation.
- What will happen if I fail to contact the court or if I fail to appear as promised?
If you do not contact the court or fail to appear as promised, an arrest warrant may be issued by the court for your arrest.
- What role do district police officers have in school discipline?
School district police officers are not school disciplinarians and should not be used as such per State Law. Their role is to provide a safe learning environment and to investigate violations of law and ordinances in accordance with the authority and power specified in board policy. However, CISD police officers are on campuses and throughout the district to assist administrators and staff wherever possible within board policy and the law. While police officers actions may result in the assignment of a disciplinary consequence, discipline is the responsibility of campus administrators.
- How do I report an incident to the Connally ISD Police Department?
To report an incident occurring on school property or involving students, call the Connally ISD Police Department at (254)296-6789, or (254)296-6460 during normal school hours. After hours please, leave a message and your call will be returned soon as possible. If an emergency hang up immediately and dial 9-1-1.
Be prepared to give as much of the following information as possible:
- What happened?
- Where did it happen?
- Did any injuries occur?
- Were any weapons involved?
- A description of the suspect(s).
- A description of any vehicles involved.
- Is the suspect(s) still at the scene?
- Direction of travel if suspect(s) have fled scene.
If an emergency stay on the line until you are told it is safe to disconnect. An officer will be dispatched or sent to the location.